LondaLocs

LondaLocs

Long Division
Kiese Laymon
Ender's Game (Movie Tie-In)
Orson Scott Card
The Creature Department
Robert Paul Weston
Perfect Peace: A Novel
Daniel Black
Twelve Years a Slave
Solomon Northup, Richard Allen
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Patrick Suskind, John E. Woods The first chapter of this book is outstanding! I was so drawn into the aromatic world that Suskind so brilliantly described, that I just had to read about Grenouille and his talent (or curse)

Grenouille was supposed to be despicable even as a child. The kind of child that even Santa would kick. I found that a bit unbelievable. So, he didn't have a smell. Hmmm I wish my boys didn't smell like anything some days. ;) He also worked hard and stayed out of people's way. Some folks would even see that as a dream child. I guess I just didn't fully get that part of the "willies" he supposedly gave everyone.

The other characters never were developed fully enough for me to feel one way or another about them. Perhaps if there was someone that we could root for in all of this, I would have connected better to this tale.

The ending seemed rushed and just too much. I have no problem with psychotic themes in books, I just thought the very end was put in for pure shock, and didn't make a whole lot of sense. The title lets you know he is a murderer, but the major portion of the book was NOT about that at all.

I did love the descriptions of the 18th century perfume industry. Suskind made it easy and fun to read about such a technical trade. I also loved his descriptions of smells, although sometimes my eyes would glaze over on the extremely wordy ones.

Overall, a good book, but I thought it could have been much better. The unique subject matter alone make it worth reading, but it probably won't linger in my thoughts for long.