LondaLocs

LondaLocs

Long Division
Kiese Laymon
Ender's Game (Movie Tie-In)
Orson Scott Card
Sure Signs of Crazy - Karen Harrington
phenomenal
adjective
1. highly extraordinary or prodigious; exceptional

That is what I think of this wonderful book by Karen Harrington. Sarah Nelson is a newly minted twelve year old who just happens to be a logophile. She also has a pet plant that she confides in and her favorite novel is [b:To Kill a Mockingbird|2657|To Kill a Mockingbird|Harper Lee|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1361975680s/2657.jpg|3275794].

How could I not love a kid like that? Sarah just wants to have a great summer for once in her life. Unfortunately, she and her alcoholic dad are always trying to keep one step ahead of a devastating secret about her mother. Sarah is always worried that she will turn out too much like her parents, and this causes her to continually question herself and her actions.

This novel was well done and I would recommend it to ages 11 and up. I would caution recommending this for the 9 to 10 year olds that are usually included in the middle-grade reader group. An implied attempt at sexual assault on another character is the main reason for my hesitation. I think the scene could have been left out altogether without compromising the message of the book. Also the fact that Sarah's mother tried to kill her, might be too much for a younger reader to handle

I am so glad I had the chance to read and review this novel I won on goodreads, and as usual my review is unbiased.