LondaLocs

LondaLocs

Long Division
Kiese Laymon
Ender's Game (Movie Tie-In)
Orson Scott Card
The Creature Department
Robert Paul Weston
Perfect Peace: A Novel
Daniel Black
Twelve Years a Slave
Solomon Northup, Richard Allen
The Velvet Room - Zilpha Keatley Snyder, Alton Raible This a great book! Loved the characters and loved the story. It reminded me a bit of [b:The Secret Garden|2998|The Secret Garden|Frances Hodgson Burnett|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327873635s/2998.jpg|3186437], which was one of my faves growing up. If I would have known about this book then, it would have been a fave too. Perfect for anyone who loves keeping innocent secrets and the idea of being hidden away.

Robin is a pre-teen who learns a lot of valuable life lessons during the Great Depression. Unlike Mary Lennox in The Secret Garden, Robin is on the lower rung of society, and has to deal with child labor and poverty along the way. Robin is caring, hard-working and sweet. It was very easy to fall in love with her and her family. There is not a lot of action until the very end of the book, but it held my attention all the same. I would describe this book as mystery-lite. Most adult readers could figure out the BIG secret, but it would be just mysterious enough for the 9-12 crowd it was written for.

Highly recommend for all but especially for 9-12 year old book lovers who would have no problem dreaming of their very own velvet room. Unfortunately, this book is not easy to find since it is not currently in print. It is really worth the search and I am glad the Children's Fiction Group chose it for the month, or I might not have ever had the pleasure of discovering it.